There is nothing more important to us than the safety and wellness of every person who is part of our communities. Click here for information about our response to COVID-19 and our ongoing infection prevention and control.
News and Information
Stay up to date with the latest news and information in the Shannex community.
Infection prevention and control
Infection prevention and control is a shared responsibility of everyone in our communities and is supported by a number of internal experts.
An Infection Prevention and Control Specialist who is certified through the Canadian Board of Infection Control and Epidemiology and who oversees our Infection Control Program. In addition, each home has a specially trained infection prevention and control delegate who manages the implementation of the program at the nursing home level.
The majority of our communities feature single resident suites with private washrooms which are an important infection control component to mitigate the risk of infection transmission. These single rooms enable a resident to be easily isolated from others while still having all the comforts they need if they become symptomatic of illness or while being investigated for infection.
Director, Clinical Practice and Infection Prevention and Control Specialist
Role of the resident and family
Our commitment to you
As a resident or family member in our community, your input is important. Your voice and your ideas are central to our decision-making at all levels of the organization and, in the care, and services we provide. Together we will create a community that you can be proud to call home.
Our commitment to you is that we will provide opportunities for you to be meaningfully engaged in our communities. Your input and involvement support improvements to safety, satisfaction and the quality of care and services we offer to you. It’s about living your best life.
Every resident has the right to:
- Be actively involved with informed decision making and work collaboratively as an important partner with the interdisciplinary team towards agreed upon goals of care.
- Provide input and feedback on all services we provide.
- Be meaningfully engaged in life at Shannex / Parkland.
- Access all personal information about care and the associated cost.
- Access organizational information about quality and safety.
- Live in an environment that is free from verbal and physical abuse, intimidation, harassment and threats.
- Live in an environment that is safe.
- Communicate freely and express quality improvement ideas.
- Enjoy personal freedom.
Resident and family advisory committee
The Resident and Family Advisory Committee is a meaningful way to become engaged with our communities and ensure our residents’ voices are reflected in everything we do. The Committee includes residents and family members across Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Ontario.
Each year, we recruit residents and family members to join the committee. We seek individuals who meet the following:
- Are you a resident who is currently living in a Shannex nursing home or Parkland Retirement Living community; or
- Are a family member of a resident
- Can look at issues from multiple perspectives
- Will be forthcoming and share their thoughts and opinions
- Will be respectful of the environment and of others at all times
- Are interested in making a positive contribution to life at Shannex
- Are interested in helping us achieve our vision of Leading the Way to Better Living
- Review and provide input on resident-centered policies and practices
- Provide advice to improve service excellence initiatives
- Provide suggestions on engagement opportunities for resident and families
- Review marketing and promotional materials
- Give feedback on products and services
- Help evolve resident and family engagement throughout the organization
Resident and family councils
Each community has its own resident and family councils to provide input and influence decisions that are being made in each community every day to improve the overall resident and family experience. To learn more, please speak with a member of your management team.
Resident and family liaison
Giving you peace of mind is important to us. That’s why, we have a Resident and Family Liaison who is available to address your questions, comments or concerns.
Katherine VanBuskirk is our Resident and Family Liaison. She is happy to provide you with support related to any aspect of care or service.
She can be reached by phone at 902-406-8297 or by completing the contact form here.
We love sharing your stories and highlighting what’s going on in our vibrant communities. Support, community and connection are at the heart of Connections Magazine.
Frequently asked questions
Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
Whether you have a question, comment or concern, you can always reach us. Zoom meetings and site-level communications are some of the many ways you can stay in touch. As always, our team members are available to make sure you have all the details you need to know for you and your loved one.