Make a Difference in Your Community
Join Shannex and become a valued volunteer, forging meaningful connections and friendships while making a positive impact!
Volunteering is more than just giving your time! It’s about forming genuine connections with the residents in our communities. By volunteering, you’ll not only benefit their lives but also create lasting friendships that enrich your own.
We offer a variety of volunteer roles that cater to your interests and talents. Whether you enjoy spending quality time with residents, sharing your skills or leading engaging activities, there’s a role that suits you:
- Recreation Program Assistant
- Resident Companion
- New Resident Welcome Support
Be a friend who interacts and engages with residents in our communities. Resident Companions spend time chatting, sharing stories, participating in activities, and encouraging residents to live their best lives.
Are you an enthusiastic and motivated individual this is the perfect opportunity for you! You will work with Recreation Team Members and Wellness Coaches to support activities and programs in our communities.
Work with Recreation Team Members and Wellness Coach to help welcome new residents to their community, provide guidance, and share information about life in their community.
Your questions answered
We understand that you may have questions about volunteering with us. That’s why we have put together a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions to address any concerns or doubts you may have.
Your safety is our priority
At Shannex, we take the health and safety of our volunteers seriously. Before entering the building, we require all volunteers to book their time in advance and self-screen for signs of illness. We strictly adhere to Public Health guidelines to ensure a safe environment for everyone.
Ready to make an impact?
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact and want to join us as a volunteer, please complete the form below.
We look forward to welcoming you into our dedicated community of volunteers!
Volunteer with Shannex!
The benefits of volunteering in our communities are often felt by a resident and the volunteer by forming friendships and connections.
Our locations can work with you to determine how often and the length of time you would like to give. To volunteer with us, please fill out the form below, and a member of the team will be in touch with you shortly.
Meet our volunteers
Meet Elaine and Grace the Doxie
Grace is a miniature long hair Dachshund and one of our most popular volunteers. She, and her best friend Elaine, have been volunteering with Shannex since last year through regular visits at Monarch Hall in Riverview, New Brunswick. Grace is certified as a Canadian Kennel Club Therapy Dog through the St. John Ambulance Therapy Dog Program. She loves when residents share memories of past pets, and she is grateful she can help them relive those moments of tenderness.
Janet is a long-time volunteer at Parkland in the Valley. Through her actions, she helps to build an inclusive resident community that supports the emotional and physical needs of the residents. When doing one-on-one activities with residents such as playing cards, doing puzzles, or simply chatting about their day, Janet always makes the residents feel special. Not only does she know all the residents by name, but she also knows about them, their likes and dislikes, their families, and their stories.
Frequently asked questions
No. We are very flexible, and we want this experience to be enjoyable for you and to fit into your routine and availability.
A Social Development Record Check looks for court orders, findings, or dangerous and destructive behaviour involving children, adults and/or seniors. A Criminal Background Check looks for police-related infractions. Both of these checks are completed at the applicant’s expense.
The Recreation Team Members/Wellness Coaches in each of our communities will be available to teach and guide you throughout the process until you become comfortable to be on your own with our residents.
- It is important to maintain honest communication with our Recreation Team Members to ensure that your volunteer experience is successful. If you are having difficulty communicating with some of our residents, please come and see us. We will be happy to provide you with some education and tips on how to communicate with our residents.
- No experience required, just a willingness to spend time with seniors. Some basic training is provided during orientation.
- There are three key volunteer roles for which we have established descriptions of responsibilities: Recreation Program Assistant; Resident Companion; and New Resident Welcome Support. Our volunteers support several different activities, and these activities vary from the level of care offered on the campus. Activities such as Bingo calling, trivia quizzing, Scrabble, Giant Crosswords, exercise classes, manicures, music and entertainment, therapy dogs, conversation groups (current events, travel, etc.), crafts and baking, one-on-one visits, games (bean bag toss, board games), special events activities, coffee/socials, gardening or spiritual activities are only some of the activities that are currently offered.
- You can do so by signing in/out in the lobby, as well as by completing school paperwork.