- Safety and illness prevention initiatives were successful in reducing workplace injuries, supporting employee wellness and bringing team members back to work faster
- Completed major milestones in our employee total rewards quality improvement project, including updated job descriptions, launching employee discount platform, relaunching the Executive Leadership program and establishing a compensation framework review committee
- Launched the Blue Book and established brand standards
- Stabilized staffing levels from COVID-19, leveraging skills development programs and international recruitment
- Continued Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging journey with Ashanti leadership, commitment statement, initial training program for people leaders
Great Reward for Great People
Last year, a quality improvement project to review, assess and identify areas for improvement related to the organization’s total rewards program began. Input was gathered from all communities and improvements were made in five key areas:
- Entitlements for management and administrative group
- New company-paid perks providers ($44,000 in savings in the first 30 days)
- Addition of virtual healthcare to our Group Benefits program, with primary and mental health benefits
- Improved communications and
materials with easy access benefits information
- A Compensation Framework Committee working to reshape monetary compensation
Transforming Our Approach to People and Culture
We’ve made great strides this year on a number of fronts to transform our approach to people and culture. Finding the right individuals who align with our values and vision is crucial to our success. With this in mind, we developed an entirely new employer brand platform.
In addition to enhancing our recruitment efforts locally, we have also embarked on international mission trips to attract exceptional talent from around the globe. Our International Recruitment team has participated in joint missions with the provinces of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick to the Netherlands and Philippines respectively. These trips have not only expanded our pool of Great People but have also fostered valuable cultural exchanges and collaborations.
Our Path to Blue
Last year, Shannex released its Blue Book, an introductory brand guide for new team members to learn about our history, values, guiding principles, universal standards and opportunities to learn and grow through professional development. Since our inaugural Great People Party last May, a committee was formed to develop, create and promote a month-long calendar for Great People Month which kicked off on May 1, 2023 and was followed by a month-long schedule of events and activities to recognize and celebrate our Great People.
Step up to Nursing
Shannex is proud to be one of the first committed partners of New Brunswick’s Step Up to Nursing: Earn as You Learn Nursing Education Pathway. Step Up to Nursing provides Personal Support Workers (PSW) and Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) with the opportunity to grow their careers while they work through a combination of on-the-job training and classroom learning with free tuition. Shannex New Brunswick’s leadership team was instrumental to the launch of this project which will support our Great People who are looking to further their career while staying in the workforce.
Employee Engagement Survey
Our annual Employee Engagement Survey, conducted in March 2023, saw an overall score of 81.12% – an increase from previous years. An impressive 95% of team members report feeling seen, heard and celebrated at Shannex.